I was wondering about the people that get up at 3 a.m. on the Friday after Thanksgiving to sit in the cold outside of Target (or some other store)and fight the crowds (apparently they aren't the only crazy ones) just to get a good deal on something. As someone who used to work retail, I hated working the day after Thanksgiving, partly because Friday is just as much a holiday in my family as Thursday, and partly because a lot of the customers were not morning people. But I have sisters-in-law that sit down on Thanksgiving, ads in hand, and plan their attack. It just isn't for me, no deal is worth waking up that early for (I am not a morning person either, maybe if they had midnight sales, hmmm...) and I really don't like being shoved around. What about you? Are you a shopper or a sleeper?
2 comments:
Definitely a sleeper! But I'm not really much of a shopper during regular hours. I did do it once in Nebraska to get a razor for Jake at Kohls'; it was miserable and he ended up not liking the razor anyway. I think the whole Black Friday thing is kind of a sad testament to the materialism in our culture.
Definitely a ploy by the corporations to get more sales. However, I cannot fault them. It is a key way to ensure our economy doesn't get worse, in this capitalistic environment. That being said, I don't think it's evil if you keep yourself to a budget. I actually found myself at Wal-mart at 5 am friday, and was pleasantly surprised as to the way people were treating each other. People were curteous and respectful. Made me happy.
Post a Comment