It's been a rough week. We are still trying to figure out what to do with 4 children and it was spring break, which meant I had all four, all day, everyday and it was a trial. My respect for my mother and mother-in-law grows exponentially everyday. My kids have had a hard time adjusting to the new baby and schedule, etc. and each has their different ways of showing their displeasure at this upset in their daily life, mostly in regressing in areas that I have little patience for. So come Friday night I was in need of a little comfort. So I made chocolate chip cookies. There is something so comforting about gooey, warm chocolate chip cookies that they instantly relax me. It's probably not a healthy relationship to have, but it works for me. As I was making them with the heightened anticipation of taking that first bite I got to thinking of all the things that I run to for comfort, and here is my list of favorite comfort things, feel free to add your own.
1. My Husband - Greg has a knack for calming all my worries and woes. It's one of the reasons I go nuts when he is not here and why I love him so much.
2. My mother - Why does she have to live so far away?
3. My mother's homemade chicken noodle soup - This is so good when you're sick. It's perfect, not too salty, just the right amount of vegetables, and real chicken broth.
4. Jane Austen movies or books - It depends on the mood. That women was a genius.
5. A good hug from my kids - Madalyn is particularly good for these, as she's my snuggle bug.
6. Homemade Cinnamon Rolls - These work for two things, 1)kneading the dough gets out the frustrations of the day and takes the edge off 2)Eating them warm out of the oven with a drippy glaze makes everything all better.
7. Girl's Night Out - I love my husband even more because he makes sure (and on occasion has taken the initiative to plan them for me) that I have these regularly. I think that has been an issue this month, I have spent way too much time in the house in general.
8. A walk outside in my quiet neighborhood (especially in the spring)- Ahhh...fresh country air, as long as it doesn't smell like onions or cows, ahh...fresh country air. Otherwise just don't breath too deeply.
9. Chocolate ice cream - just plain chocolate ice cream, and yes even soft serve ice cream is acceptable. Greg laughs at that because he says people don't WANT soft serve ice cream, they settle for soft serve ice cream.
10. Friends - I love the friends I have. They make me laugh and laughter is the best medicine, or so they say.
Deals
1 year ago

2 comments:
Hang in there! There are definitely worse comforts to flee to! Cookies you can share...
I'm proud of you Stacey! You made it to four before having a hard time adjusting...I hit that at two!!! I wish I lived closer - I'd make you cinnamon rolls AND would have a night out with you. Then we'd both be happier. :) Hope you're doing better.
Post a Comment