Jacob went to a birthday party on Tuesday night, and for some reason the party favors were fish, 6 to be exact. Just little bait fish. Jacob was so excited on the way home. "My first pets!," he exclaimed while loving watching his fish swim in the ziploc bag. I am notorious for killing fish. I have never been able to keep a fish alive for more than 24 hours, and here I am responsible for these fish, and my son's feelings. I told the people that gave Jacob the fish that I was going to send them the bill for the therapy he was going to require after I killed his fish. I went home and just poured the fish into a vase (my only substitute for a tank) and gave them the tiniest bit of food. Only one survived the night, but Jacob was still okay. I, while trying not to throw up, dug the unfortunate souls out of the vase and flushed them. I put the survivor in some new water, contemplating that if this one should survive the day I would call him Mo, short for the Last of the Mohicans, and said a silent prayer that I would not kill Jacob's last fish. I went and gave the kids a bath and by the time Jacob went into his room to get dressed, Mo had passed away. Now came the tears. Poor little guy. His first pets didn't even last 18 hours. Now he thinks he wants to get a different pet, perhaps a dog. I can't even keep fish alive, I am lucky that I've kept three kids alive, I don't think I want any more pets. Jacob told me while I was relating this story to my Mom on the phone,"you are the fish killer you know!" Just in case I didn't know already.
1 comments:
Bummer, man. I'm afraid I would do the same thing.
Post a Comment